The historic carillon is situated within the tower of Hollywood UMC. Referred to as the Martindale Carillon, these tubular bells were donated by the Charles Martindale family in honor of their two children who perished in a collison of the S.S. Columbia with the freighter S.S. Livingston on July 20, 1907.
The carillon was dedicated on December 8, 1945. Constructed by JC. Deagan, Inc. of Chicago, it has been called the largest of its kind west of the Mississippi. Consisting of thirty-two tubular bells, ranging from C to G, the carillon weighs nine tons.
An exclusive process harmonically tunes each bell to eliminate undesired tones. This process allows the bells to be played in four-part harmony.